Thursday, April 23, 2009

Three colours: red

The forecast says that late tomorrow morning it will start to rain and won't stop for a week, so that's my Thursday morning taken care of: up on the ladder scooping the mixed organic muck of eons out of such gutters as I can reach without actually risking my life. Today was a perfect Adelaide autumn day: still and sunny, with high creamy-bluey slightly cloudy sky and the earth still so warm you wonder whether you should chuck in one more go of Dynamic Lifter for the hell of it before winter sets in.

But by the time the rain clears we will be on the cusp of May, the air and the earth a week colder, the days a week darker and more closed-in. So today was probably the last of those soft, bright autumn days for the year.

Still, there are compensations, like the colours of autumn as it moves into winter: the vine doing its annual flashy thing,




lamb shanks,




and happy rugged-up cats.


8 comments:

ThirdCat said...

Adelaide autumns...homesick sigh...though there is a lovely sunset here right now...and we've got Abu Dhabi womad starting tomorrow night and it's free, so that's awesome, no?

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

Well, I think the Adelaide autumn's finished for this year. Hoping for lots of rain, though I wish I'd had the time and money and enthusiasm to get serious rainwater storage organised by now. Did you read Stephanie's lovely post about rain in New York?

Abu Dhabi womad (and free at that) does indeed sound awesome. I trust there will be blogging, with pix and so on.

librarygirl said...

Rain - bring it on!

meli said...

boo. I know you need the rain, but I'm only here another week and a half, and could have done with a few more of those lovely shiny days like yesterday... Maybe it will make me less sad to be heading back to a Norwegian May, which is surely one of the most glorious things in the world...

Deborah said...

You inspired me, PC. This morning I raced out and got petrol for the lawn mower, and mowed the lawns and swept the gutters, before 9.30am, and just now (10.15am) the rain has started to spatter at our place.

Mindy said...

So in about three weeks everything here will be that lovely colour. Good times. I hope we get our rain before that though. I've been waiting for enough rain so I can put slow release fert on the daisies surrounding the house as the ground has to be wet first. I'm worried I'd empty the tank if I did it with tank water!

R.H. said...

I'm not sure about those pale blue curtains with the reddish couch cover.

Anonymous said...

It's raining here too, I'm thrilled to say, we've had 10mm, which should further encourage the green shoots appearing up the black tree trunks. Lovely lovely, and more coming...
Tyaakian