Friday, February 4, 2011

Running away from the Beast

This is a brief, spontaneous and miscellaneous post written only because I have just noticed that the number of posts here is currently 666, or will be until I hit POST.

While I'm here, however, I'd just like to prove that the Beast is indeed present, for the moment, by saying that Mark Latham's venomous little spray about the Prime Minister not being a mother, to be found in the current Spectator, is pathetic; that Tony 'Dr No' Abbott's attempt to shift the blame for his frightfully timed gaffe about raising money for a campaign to destroy the flood levy is an added layer of disgracefulness; that the people slagging Ian Thorpe for doing what he does best and wanting to be paid for it are almost certainly men with modest incomes and no athletic ability who don't have the capacity to be happy with that and who are living in some big plastic bubble of pure envy; and that the next person who says to me cheerfully 'Oh, but you work well under pressure' or 'Don't worry, it'll all be wonderful' is going to get a smack upside the head.

8 comments:

Fine said...

Yowser Pav, you're sounding dangerous.

And yay for Ian Thorpe. Hope he comes back bigger and better than ever.

Fine said...

''Anyone who chooses a life without children, as Gillard has, cannot have much love in them,'' he concludes. "(Mark Latham)

Can I strangle him now, or do I have to wait in the queue?

When I voted for him in 2004, I had to hold my nose because I knew he basically hated me.

Peter said...

If you still need cheering up, you may not yet have seen "Still Life with Fruit and Flowers ... " on LOLCAT.

WV imisana
Me too.

M L Jassy said...

Mother Teresa didn't have any children, but dealt out love like it was going out of fashion!

(I think ML needs to join one of my Year 7 debating teams so he can watch his 'arguments' gradually dismembered.)

Emily said...

We have hit a new level of "ugly" in many parts of this country it seems. Thank goodness they still seem to be greatly outnumbered by the many acts of kindness which cn be encountered.
I'm all for decking some of the "uglies" so you should go for it. From the sidelines I'm encouraging you to go with your instincts at times.

Ann ODyne said...

yes yes, what you said, and Fine's comment too.

Dr Cat, I'm in a heraldic mood at the moment, and pondering that if you had a coat-of-arms, the first quadrant would be a ticking clock on a background of the gregorian calendar, the next quadrant would be keyboards rampant, the whole would be encircled by snoozing kitties ... etc.

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

Oh, what a lovely idea! Can you fit a sailing ship, a set of manacles, an embroiderer's needle, the insignia of the British Marines circa 1786, a wild brumby rampant, a ram's horn, a thistle and a sheaf of barley in there somewhere?

David Irving (no relation) said...

You probably could make such a coat-of-arms Dr Cat (only being as you're a woman it'd have to be in a lozenge, not a shield), but it'd be busier than the Hapsburgs' one.