Friday, November 28, 2008

Throw out those nanna pants or take the consequences, bitch

Check it out.

As they sometimes say over at Hoyden About Town: I have no words.

Actually I do have a few words. The hilarious line being taken by this man's lawyer is a defence based on the concept of diminished responsibility. That's the one that goes 'Well of course I raped, strangled and dismembered her, I'd had 19 Tequila Slammers, so it wasn't my fault.' It's the kind of thing that makes you think they haven't yet quite ironed out all the bugs in the judicial system.

I see from the last paragraph under the heading 'Discussion' in this handy Wikipedia entry that there's an urban legend regarding the alleged precedent for the line of defence being used in the nanna pants case: it's a kind of reverse version of the 'Twinkie Defense'.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how blokes (and their lawyers) think it will fly when clearly they were sober (or otherwise regulated) and then - knowing what alcohol or sugar or drugs or lack of drugs does to their mood - they decided to drink (etc). Then anything that happens after the first irresponsible decision is ok.

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

Well, exactly. As though someone else had held them down and forced them to consume it.