Saturday, June 13, 2009

Now they tell me

The Flood Warning for Adders that freaked me out last night appears to have been downgraded to a Flood Watch. I wish I'd known that before I spent an hour outside in the cold this morning with shovels and trowels and garden gloves, climbing ladders and cleaning out gutters and clearing gully traps and digging drainage channels and improvising sandbags, here in this low-lying part of town where the stormwater floods straight down my concrete driveway from the road in sheets.

Covered in the mud and glop of ages but virtuous and warmed up from the exertion, am on way to shower before hitting the road to the hospital to visit Papa Cat. Who is much better: not as serious as we feared.

6 comments:

fifi said...

Nothing like a workout in the elements to liven one up.

Good wishes to the Father Cat.

Penthe said...

Glad to hear that your Papa Cat is rather better than feared.

At least you will be prepared for surface flooding. And filled with virtue as well as covered in goop.

Alexis, Baron von Harlot said...

I'm very glad to hear about your aged P. The only good thing about these parental brushes with mortality is that they remind us kiddies to tell those parents how they're loved. I'll be thinking of you both, and the 'Laide, for which I hope the sandbagging proves unnecessary.

kris said...

Oh dear! On all accounts. I hope the winter sun is shining for you again soon.

Fine said...

Floods in Adders!

Very pleased to hear your Dad is doing well.

Mindy said...

You have obviously earned the rest of the week off, with your feet up on the couch, except for visits to Papa Cat. Glad to hear he is doing well.