Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A half-full glass in a toenail of a day*

I've spent most of today either sitting at the desk or rushing around like a mad rabbit to places like banks and post offices doing a big pile of mind-numbingly boring and in three cases quite expensive administrative tasks, several of which I ought never to have been asked or expected to do in the first place. When I asked the woman in the post office how much stamps were for a particular sized item, all I wanted to know was the answer. When I was going through the supermarket checkout, all I wanted was for big heavy items not to be dumped directly on top of small fragile ones. And when I checked the mailbox, there were two items in it, and one was my superannuation statement, informing me that over 9% of what used to be in that account had melted away like fairy floss on the tongue between the beginning of January and the end of June.

So the other item -- the speeding fine (and yes I did totally deserve it, thank you all for asking) for $202 -- seemed as nothing by comparison, and therefore setting fire to those ten $20 bills and watching them burn isn't going to be anywhere near as painful as it usually is. Hooray.

*I am aware that this is a mixed metaphor, but it is a much more original one than something the Prime Minister is reported to have said today: 'There are big bumps in the road ahead; it's not all going to be smooth sailing.'

4 comments:

Alexis, Baron von Harlot said...

It's a perfectly lovely mixed metaphor, too.

Anonymous said...

Opening a Telstra bill, usually done with a glass of wine and 8 cigarettes, I discovered...$470 credit. I am suspicious, something has shifted in the cosmos, something does not feel right - swap you speeding fine for Telstra bill before the time lock shatters and the Daleks carry us off...

Anonymous said...

Sorry that was me. Wrong button

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

Too late, you can pay them online now. And I did.

Alexis, I am glad you appreciate the finer points of glass, toenail etc.