Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Words seen and heard

To my surprise I made my way through a whopping great list of errands in the city before lunch and am now a whole afternoon ahead of myself, much of which I plan to fritter away blogging. Here are the verbal high points of the morning:

-- Overheard in Adelaide Arcade, as two men deep in conversation passed me: ' ... so my other major problem is only a minor one.'

-- Seen before I had the chance to avert my gaze from the windowful of big fresh heaped rainbow-arrayed snowdrifts of fresh gelati, a sign under one variety of a delicate pale creamy-brown, indicating its flavour: 'Ferrero Rocher'. I drooled all the way back to the car.

-- Heard in the car on Radio National as I crossed the river, on a program about the endangered status of the mallee fowl: 'To all the foxes and feral cats around the place, these guys are just little Mars Bars on legs.'



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My not-my-real-uncle- Uncle Alan claimed to have overheard on a London bus, 'So there she was, stark naked in the Sistine Chapel'...
Instead of feeling for the endangered species, I feel very very hungry, between the ice-cream, and the mars bar image - must go and eat donuts now...
Tyaakian

Anonymous said...

That Mars Bar comment made my afternoon. And it definitely needed making. Thank you.